Once on this Island (Jr.)

 This adventure all started when I saw a poster advertising Once on this Island Jr., presented by a local intermediate school.  

I first saw Once on this Island as a student when my high school put it on.  Looking back (around 20 years later!), all I could remember of the production were some of the things that felt odd to me.  

1.  I vaguely recalled that there were some racial aspects to the story that didn't make a lot of sense because everyone in the production was white.  

2.  I could only remember one song:  "Some Girls" and I could really only remember the line that says "Some girls you marry, some you love." The idea that the love interest doesn't work out was not something I saw in other media I had seen.  Raised on Disney movies, the female protagonist always wins over the prince of her dreams.  

I decided to search the internet and find out what the play was all about.  I also decided to see the production at the intermediate school.  

Comments